Tuesday, March 30, 2010

PowerPoint

I have sat through, many, many PowerPoint presentations, but up until now I had never created one, this technology was in it's infancy when I had any real reason to use it, and since then I have managed to avoid it like the plague. But like the common cold, I knew PowerPoint would have to catch up to me eventually. PowerPoint has the reputation of being very easy to use, everyone I have ever spoken to say, " it's so easy, the hard part is the content and having the time to do it properly". So I tackled the task of creating a PowerPoint with an open mind.

The whole exercise was a major challenge for me, I have so many new technologies dancing around in my head, that I am starting to get a bit overwhelmed. My main achievement is the
acceptance that PowerPoint is the one technology I must master. The more visually stimulating, and effective you can make your lessons, this will increase student engagement (Kearsley and Schniederman, 1999).

"With PowerPoint, you can animate words and graphics, add sound effects, include a QuickTime movie - PowerPoint captures the students attention and keeps them interested" (www.educationworld.com/)

So join me in my learning journey, and embrace PowerPoint.

Download the PowerPoint Tutorial.
  • Click Slide Show, choose View Show, and view the tutorial.

  • Print the slides and use them as a guide as you create your own PowerPoint presentation.

Remember that this is an introductory tutorial; PowerPoint offers many features and options beyond those covered here. Once you're familiar with the program, you'll be able to

  • Choose from a variety of presentation types, designs, and layouts;
  • Create original designs and layouts as well as change colors and color schemes in pre-selected designs;
  • Add, delete, and rearrange slides within a presentation;
  • Insert Web art, scanned images, or create your own drawings;
  • Create charts and graphs;
  • Incorporate sound and videos;
  • Add hyperlinks;
  • Save work in html.
All these features would greatly enhance any learning experience.
Congratulations!
I've a long way to go before I master PowerPoint, but at least I realise it's educational value.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES References:
http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech013.shtml


Engagement Theory:
A framework for technology-based teaching and learning
Greg Kearsley & Ben Shneiderman Version 4/5/99
http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment