Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Use of Voki Avatars in Teaching

I created my first avatar at 39 years of age. Sitting beside me watching avidly was my young son. He created his first avatar at 4, and his second, third and fourth. He went to school the next day, and with much excitement detailed his new found skill to his prep teacher. Seeing his level of engagement she approached me, asking the about details for the site. Working closely with him, to encourage him to pass on what he knows, she will allow him to show the rest of the class how to create an avatar. She has been trying to encourage him to showcase his knowledge to the rest of the class, but so far he has resisted her attempts at doing this. Maybe with this exciting use of technology, she will be able to get him to open up.

The creation of avatars could be used, to encourage the students to follow directions. For example, create an avatar with the following features --. This would teach patience, group work, co-operation, lateral thinking and following instruction.

Get a Voki now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan, like you, I to have just created my first Voki avatar, it certainly is an exciting technology. What an interesting challenge?

    I agree with you comment that the incorporation of avatars into lessons would encourage the the students to follow directions.

    Great to see the enthusiasm of you son, wanting to become involved with this technology.

    Cheers

    Annie

    ReplyDelete